Sunday, December 2, 2007

One More Penny March

Major Burger King Rally



  • I was really excited about this rally, because since I first got the message in www.facebook.com by our professor, I was impacted by this exploitation. So that day I stayed until 2:00 P.M. in school, so I could get a ride to the rally. At the end, I ended up going in Gabriela's car with Yancilis. As we were driving towards the place, we saw a couple of people walking in the streets wearing yellow shirts and with different signs.
  • When we finally parked we walk around five blocks and arrived to where the whole rally was taking place at. We started to make noises and sounds so that the Burger King employees will hear our voices. We sang songs, and we were screaming “Si se puede, si se puede” at the top of our lungs. Unfortunately, I left a little early because Gabriela wasn’t feeling too good, so I had to go back home with her.

  • It was very shocking to find out that the majority of the people in the Rally were Americans. Not even Hispanics, which is the race that it’s supposed to be supporting our own people. I felt really glad when I saw the signs and posters of these people with things written such as “Immigration doesn’t equal exploitation”.
  • I was also a little sad, to the fact that these unfairness is actually happening in this country. I could only imagine the poor farmers working ten hours a day just to make around $40 a day. It is very sad, that there are still people out there who just don’t care about these immigrants, and they are exploiting them, because of this reason.

  • What I learned from my visit to this rally, is that one must always be fair. One day you may be the happiest and wealthiest person in the world, and the next day you can have nothing. Power and wealth doesn’t give you the authority to look at somebody else as inferior. We are all equal, even if some of us posses more than the others. It is inhuman to know and not do anything about it, that farm workers face conditions of modern day slavery.
  • Finally, the only thing left now, is to expect a more human treatment for these farm workers. I was really impacted when I saw (I believe they were) some of the farm workers just making noises with their wood instruments, relieved to see many people supporting them. Exploitation over justice is what Burger King has chosen. For this reason I will try to never buy something for this company.

No comments: