Sunday, December 2, 2007

Service Learning Journal I

Ghandi Day

  • This was my first service learning day. I did not know what I was going to be doing neither where I was going to go. It started around 8:00 A.M. in Wolfson campus, building three. Everyone took something so we could have a nice breakfast and we could be ready for the long day that was waiting for us. In the same building we had a little presentation about the Dream Act, that some of us had participated in. I worked with friend to make a video about the Dream Act by sending him some pictures. By the expression of their faces, I could see everyone enjoyed the video and it was really touching.
  • Then some of us decided to go to the roots in the city garden, and others went to Lotus house. I decided to go to the garden, with a couple of other friends. We went in Daniela's car, and even though we got a little lost, we finally found the place. We started off by planting, and cleaning. The overall idea of our first day was to beautify the garden. Finally, I saw many people asking for a bag of what we were collecting and I felt pleased. After that, around 3:00 P.M. we went to the University of Miami, where we were provided with food. We also saw different and interesting presentations by the students. In the same place, we presented our topic of the day, which was the Dream Act. This was the end of our day, where everyone head to their houses with different people.



  • At the beginning, when we were driving around the streets of overtown, I felt a little scared, since it was my first time in that neighborhood. After, I felt a little more secure since we were doing this service as a group. Later on I was a little hungry so I was feeling kind of tired. When we got to UM, I felt happy to see how many people were involved in this service learning activity. At the end, I felt very happy of knowing how I had contributed to the community that day.
  • In this event, we were not the only volunteers but there were also other students from other organizations, still being part of Ghandi Day. There was not a big variety of food, which made me feel kind of sad, since I wasn't expecting that at all. However, the final presentations from the different students made me feel really glad about my efforts.

  • At the end of my day I realized how the people in overtown live. This was something very new to me, since we were always talking about this in class, but I never had the opportunity of experience it.I wanted to go and experience the community since as a Little Havana resident I was somehow offended by the many characteristics given by some of my classmates of my enclave.
  • After all, I concluded that for the overtown citizens, their neighborhood it’s not a “bad” neighborhood, probably just how I feel about mine. There is some truth, however to the stereotypes. The drugs, alchohol, and crime environment is there, however, I figured out one must never talk or conclude anything without proves.

No comments: